Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 2/3 cups / 400 g plain cake flour
- 2 tbsp / 10g cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 tsp / 5g baking soda / bi-carb soda, , NOT baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup / 115 g unsalted butter, softened (1 US stick)
- 1 1/2 cups / 330 g caster / superfine white sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature (around 2 oz / 60g each)
- 1 cup / 250ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or essence)
- 1 cup / 250 ml buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 tbsp red food coloring liquid
- 14 oz/ 400g Philadelphia Cream Cheese block
- 1 stick / 1/2 cup / 115g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups / 450 g soft icing sugar / powdered sugar sifted
Preheat oven to 180C/350F (all oven types). Butter 2 x 21cm / 8″ round cake pans (sides and base) and dust with cocoa powder.
Sift the Dry Ingredients and whisk to combine in a bowl.
Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric beater or in stand mixer until smooth and well combined (use paddle attachment if using stand mixer).
Add eggs, one at a time, beating in between to combine. At first it will look curdle – keep beating until it’s smooth.
Add vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla, buttermilk and red food coloring. Beat until combined and smooth.
Add Dry Ingredients. Beat until just combined – some small lumps is ok, that’s better than over mixing.
Divide batter between cake pans. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes on the same shelf, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Rest for 10 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla for 3 minutes
- Add icing sugar and beat for 2 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy to your taste
- *If your frosting seems too runny add more icing sugar
*Refer to website for extra notes from author